You've woken up with a foggy head, your nose is running, your mouth tastes like all kinds of grossness and your body feels like that one time you bothered to visit a gym. You my friend, are poorly.
I speak so confidently of this because I am currently sailing the good ship sick and feel like I've gotten a firm grasp of it. With that in mind, I'm going to share with you my top tips for styling out a sick day.
First things first, admit defeat. You're not going to power through. Ring in to the office sick, arrange a babysitter for your little darlings and bring your laptop charger to the bedroom, you're new found poorly palace.
There are 5 steps to how this day is going to go. Embrace them with your sweaty little hands and be glad.
1. Drugs. I'm not talking Breaking Bad illegals here (obv), but do not skimp on the cough medicine. Far too often I've gone down the 'I'll stick it out and allow my body to heal itself' route and hated myself for it 8 days later when I was still coughing and spluttering.
2. Sleep. Hours and hours of (slightly crappy) sleep are what you need here. Today Matt (oh so kindly) ran me a bath at around 2pm (I'm not sure if he was just being lovely or giving me a hint haha) and I promised I'd shut my eyes for 10 minutes and then hop in. Two hours later I had a lovely soak haha. Sleep is not to be felt guilty about, it allows your body to recuperate and feel better. Save your energy for step 3.
3. Entertainment. Today is the day for gentle indulgence. You wanna read trashy chicflics whilst you cough? You go girlfriend. You want to watch 8 consecutive episodes of Madmen series 2? Don't let me stop you. Give your brain a day off and treat it to some luxury.
4. Social Media. Social media was MADE for sick days. Who doesn't secretly enjoy scrolling through pinterest for hours, stalking their ex on twitter (jokes..kinda) or debating whether or not to upload that breakfast snap to instagram? Think of it as current news research rather than time wasting. Because it isn't. No way.
5. Kittens. If you're not a cat lady then
I feel desperately sorry for you feel free to replace this step with cuteness of your choice. These little fluffs have spent the entire day nuzzling round me and being so adorable I thought my heart would burst. Find a pet, touch it (appropriately) and feel happy that such a wonderful little thing exists.
Added extras include eating a lot of throat friendly foods (hello cheesy mash or ice cream), nail painting, sympathy asking and blog writing (oh hai).
I've got a fun filled weekend of lemsip ahead of me, please do pop fun 'poorly' activities in the comments to help me and your fellow Sprinklerinos along!
Also, please excuse the excessive kitten pictures. They're just too cute dammit.